Keeping Kids Healthy with Essential Oils
Parents, despite the numerous measures they take to keep their children in good shape, often overlook one of the most effective ways to help support their kids' health—essential oils.
Essential oils are concentrated plant extracts that are scientifically proven to provide therapeutic benefits to children. They are considered effective health boosters as their aroma can deliver instant effects to the brain. Aside from aromatherapy, they can be applied topically.
Proper Dilution of Essential Oils for Children
Since essential oils are highly potent extracts, using them for children requires extra care. Before applying essential oils directly on your child's skin, you must dilute it with any carrier oil (e.g. coconut oil, avocado oil, grapeseed oil) first.
Generally, the concentration should only be about 0.25%. This means 0.25% of the mixture is the essential oil while the remaining 99.75% is the carrier oil. In other words, four teaspoons of chosen carrier oil must be mixed with each drop of essential oil.
The 0.25%-concentration is the safest concentration level for children, but you can add a little more as your child gets older. For two- to six-year-old kids, the concentration may be increased to 1%. For six- to ten-year-old kids, the concentration may be increased to 1.5%.
Health-Boosting Essential Oils
There are a variety of essential oils that can be used to help keep your kids at their healthiest. Their benefits range from treatment of wounds to relief of stress and anxiety. Below are some of the best essential oils for boosting your child's health.
1. Blue Tansy
Blue tansy essential oil is a great choice during seasons when diseases become more prevalent. It can stimulate your child's hormones and can give your child a boost of energy.
Blue tansy essential oil has a number of infection-fighting properties including antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties. You may diffuse this essential oil if your child is suffering from digestive and respiratory disturbances.
You may also dilute this oil and apply the mixture onto your child's skin. It helps heal a number of skin inflammation and disorders such as insect bites.
Thieves essential oil is another child-friendly oil that can keep sickness at bay. Taking in this oil's aroma helps enhance your child's immune system. It also has antibacterial properties which help ward off symptoms of common diseases such as cold and flu.
You can create a DIY disinfectant spray by mixing distilled water, witch hazel, and a drop or two of thieves essential oil. This is especially handy when your child loves to play with things that potentially hold bacteria.
Your child's overall health is not always dictated by his physical shape. If your child is suffering from mental uneasiness such as excessive mood swings or difficulty in sleeping at night, diffusing valor essential oil would help.
Its calming scent can relax your child's mental state with an added bonus of boosting his immune system.
Frankincense essential oil is renowned for its cell-regenerating properties that help promote healthy cells and tissues in your child's body. It is also an effective cure for oral health problems such as cavities and toothaches, respiratory disorders, as well as digestive disorders.
If your child is suffering from or is prone to skin problems, frankincense essential oil is a good choice. Topical application of diluted frankincense oil can help moisturize and replenish dry, irritated skin and heal skin rashes.
Eucalyptus extract is commonly used as an ingredient in creams and ointments. This is because it has soothing properties that can deliver results instantly. Eucalyptus essential oil contains the same properties which are also known to stimulate the immune system.
Eucalyptus essential oil is a natural decongestant as well and can be used to soothe joint and muscle pain and relieve symptoms of asthma and respiratory tract infections.
During the seasons when proper exercise and diet seem to be not enough to keep your child in good shape, using these essential oils can help provide additional support to his health. Just remember, no matter which essential oil you use for your child, proper dilution and safe handling are a must!
Enter to win! One winner will receive a $20.00 gift code to use at Got Oil Supplies.
How? It's easy! Just fill out the GiveawayTools form below. Good luck!
This guest post article was provided by Got Oil Supplies. Got Oil Supplies is your one stop shop for essential oil container and accessory needs. And there is a 10% off coupon code available for new visitors if you sign up for our newsletter!