A Family, Beauty, Health and Lifestyle Blog
Beauty Bucket List 10 Unexpected Must Do Things
Want to look, feel and think more beautifully? We called upon several experts in dermatology, longevity, psychology and even plastic surgery to bring you 10 unexpected things to consider adding to your beauty bucket list. They are...
1. Only drink water for 30 days. Imagine the benefits to your skin, hair, nails and overall body when you cut out sugars, caffeine, alcohol, and anything artificial and go straight H20. Dr. Christopher Calapai D.O. anti aging and stem cell specialist says, "be sure to drink pure water and if it gets boring add lemon, lime, or blueberries. Within the first week you will notice skin that is plump, glowing, clear and soft. By the second week people will take notice asking what you have done. The difference, for those who stick to a water only beverage plan for 30 days is astounding."
2. Ditch all facial products for a month. Look at your bathroom countertop and drawers. Product overload is common. Perhaps you bought into the promises of one product then jumped to another and another. Clear the clutter and clear your skin. Dr. Kally Papantoniou a board certified dermatologist in New York urges people to get rid of old expired skincare products and get back to basics. Using a simple non comedogenic facial cleanser and a moisturizer with SPF each day for a month will allow the skin to heal itself and return to a natural state. After 2 weeks of a simplified skincare regimen you may see fewer and less intense breakouts, less dryness or less oil.
3. Change your hair color and style.
It's quite common for women to drastically change their hair after a break-up but why wait for an emotional upheaval? Have long hair? Try a pixie cut! Have a short brown bob? Go blonde! Dr. Sanam Hafeez, NYC based licensed neuropsychologist and teaching faculty member at the prestigious Columbia University Teacher’s College, explains that our hair is a huge part of our identity. "When we really want a change in our lives, the fastest way to shift your mind towards forward progression is to alter our appearance in a major way. The best part with experimenting with hair is that it can grow back and you can enjoy different styles during the grow out process."
4. Give the girls a lift or go smaller! Dr. John Zannis a board certified plastic surgeon from North Carolina, says that breast augmentation done to mothers who breastfed multiple children is a game changer. "These women come in to see me feeling as if their breasts don't match their zest for life. They want them lifted and fuller and back to what they were before breastfeeding." Further women whose smaller frame can't handle large breasts leading to back and neck strain and even nerve damage can benefit from breast reduction. "Breast reduction changes lives. I have seen it in my practice. Women feel free going from an F cup to a full B. No more neck aches and shoulder pain not to mention bra straps digging into skin."
5. Learn to meditate. Want to appear 5 - 10 years younger within a month? Start meditating. Studies have shown that people who meditate are more optimistic, more calm and able to remain focused. They seem to breathe more deeply and have this general vibe of self-awareness. People who meditate know how to declutter their minds of worrisome thoughts that only perpetuate accelerated aging and illness. Dr. Hafeez encourages her patients to meditate by engaging all 5 senses. "When we sit or lay still and focus on our breathing and immediate surroundings we become fully present."
6. Get a skin check up, head to toe by a pro. People mistakenly think that total body skin screenings are for the pale and cancer prone. This is not the case. Even people who never burn in the sun should have a check up. "There are places where precancerous moles like to hide such as in the scalp, behind ears, in-between toes and under nails," explains Dr. Papantoniou. "It's always good to be safe and get moles and other growths looked at as we age."
7. Get it "fixed." Maybe you broke your nose playing soccer at 14 and it never healed right affecting your breathing not to mention making a common cold a catastrophe. Now that you're an adult and your facial bones have settled into place consider a nose job. Dr. Zannis, warns that a broken nose can complicate breathing which can lead to sleep apnea and a host of other sinus issues. "Most of the time it's not only a cosmetic issue it goes deeper than that. It's important that the functionality of the nose is a priority. Many of my cases have experienced an injury to their nose which not only affected the appearance but their breathing."
8. Buy a luxurious bathrobe. Admit it those robes found at spas and 5 star hotels are comfortable, really really, really comfortable. It's amazing how something so simple can really make you feel so beautiful. "Adding a touch of luxury to your life is a kind way to pamper yourself. Women of all shapes and sizes have body issues so if it feels great to wrap your body in a plush terry cloth robe go for it!, offers Dr. Hafeez.
9. Go back to bedtime. When we sleep our body repairs itself. When we are overworked, over worried and sleep deprived our bodies don't have the time to regenerate. This leads to a slower metabolism, poor organ function and sallow, wrinkled skin. "As we age we need a set bedtime and wake-time. The sleep cycle is pivotal for cellular turnover. New mothers often see more wrinkles and a difference in skin texture and radiance because they are awakened several times during the night," offers Dr. Calapai. Ideally adults need between 6 and 8 hours of sleep each night.
10. Get those earlobes repaired! From the most simple ear lobe repair for a torn ear lobe, to the more complex repair of ear gauges, you can now have your ear lobe back. Dr. Papantoniou offers this procedure in office, with local anesthesia and stitches that are dissolvable. "The ear heals very quickly and scars are minimal. The ear can be re-pierced 2-3 months after having the repair surgery," she explains.
Regardless of where you are on your beauty journey of life know that how we feel matters most and feeling good from the inside always makes the outside more healthy, vibrant and beautiful.
With 2016 in full swing, you have probably already made a few new Years Resolutions. I know I have! (I just hope I don't blow them too quickly.) Have you made any beauty resolutions? Perhaps finding a new beauty routine that allows you to achieving that flawless look in half the time? Perhaps you just want to expand your horizons and try out some products you have not tried before?
Below are some beauty tips as well as my favorite beauty must-haves for 2016 to help you to look effortlessly glamorous in no time at all.
I’ve also include a skincare routine (at the bottom of this post) to ensure your skin is fresh and ready for all that the New Year shall bring your way.
Need a new, easy hairstyle? Experiment with a new due like the braided faux hawk! RPZL has an easy way to create this look. Or try a bouncy textured ponytail with a beach spray like Sun Bum Beach Formula Sea Spray .
Sick of the classic red lip? Don’t be afraid to go a little darker this new year with brick reds, plums and raspberry shades! Smashbox has great cream and matte colors with intense pigments that saturate lips with lasting coverage.
In need of a long lasting, photo proof foundation? Try Lasting Effects Coverage Perfector! This 2-in-1 foundation and concealer allows for flawless, airbrushed and comfortable coverage that lasts for over 24 hours.
If you’re prone to breakouts due to stress try a skincare routine that incorporates acne fighting products!
Try a gentle foaming cleanser in the morning like, DDF Blemish Foaming Cleanser which contains active blemish inhibitors to reduce oil without over-drying.
Before makeup application use a blurring product like Lumene Bright Now Blur Line and Pore Minimizer which diminishes the appearance of fine lines and pores.
Want to start afresh? Wash your skin of makeup past with a simple cleanser like Lumene Bright Touch Refreshing Foam Cleanser foams away makeup and impurities.
In need of a deeper cleanse? Try a mask to absorb excess oil and impurities and tighten pores. Lumene Matt Touch Deep-Cleansing Peat Mask does all the above!
Too tired to do a mask treatment but feel a pimple arising? Apply DDF Acne Control Treatment after cleansing the skin to combat existing blemishes while also helping to prevent future acne.
Disclaimer: I received samples of these products to review. All opinions are my own.
Have you ever wondered how Hollywood’s A-list stars get glam? Want to figure out how to add a touch of the same glamour to your life?
Look no further: this fall, celebrity make-up artist Gary Cockerill brings the ultimate beauty bible with SIMPLY GLAMOROUS: Make-up Transformations to Make You Look and Feel Fabulous.
Leading makeup artist Gary Cockerill is best known for his glamorous and sexy makeup style and has worked with top celebrities like Eva Longoria, David Beckham, Isla Fisher and Melanie Griffith and more!
In Simply Glamorous, Gary debunks the rules and myths of beauty, proving that with a little knowledge and practice, anyone can use make-up to enhance and transform. With his down-to-earth approach, he reveals the best products and techniques to make anyone red-carpet ready. He then takes us on a step-by-step series of breathtaking makeovers on a range of real women, demonstrating how to create a look to suit any face shape, feature, color, or age—transformations ranging from nude and natural, to high-octane glamor. Now, Hollywood-grade tips and tricks are accessible to everyone!
I love learning makeup tips and beauty secrets that I never knew about before. Gary's beautiful step-by-step photos and easy-to-follow instructions show me exactly what to do to create the looks I want to achieve.
Everything from lips to eyes!
My daughter, Kendallyn is thinking of going into beauty school. She has the natural talent of doing her makeup flawlessly and she always looks glamorous (as you can clearly see in the photo below.) Gary's book is helping Kendallyn to expand her horizons by teaching her a few more makeup tips and tricks that she is already putting to good use.
Order Simply Glamorous: Make-up Transformations to Make You Look & Feel Fabulous on Amazon.com
Disclaimer: I received samples of these products to review and to keep. All opinions are my own.
Best Kept Japanese Beauty Secrets
Sublime Beauty Phytoceramides ($29.99)
Disclaimer: I received no compensation for this post.
For over 300 years, Japan’s geisha have been held in awe for their enduring wisdom and breathtakingly beautiful, porcelain skin. Tatcha has developed a skincare and beauty regime based on geisha traditions and sharing the geisha’s timeless wisdom for youthful-looking skin.
TATCHA recreates the geisha’s minimalist beauty regime with fresh preparations of concentrated bioactive materials, accessing their active ingredients through a proprietary extraction process of green tea, Okinawa red algae and rice bran.
Together, these time-tested ingredients enhance the skin’s natural beauty, promote nourishing moisturization and help reduce the signs of premature aging for truly pure, polished, radiant and supple looking skin.
Clinical Results—Science Confirms What Geisha Learned Long Ago
An 8-week independent clinical study showed more youthful-looking skin with daily use of TATCHA's 4-step ritual:
- 70% decrease in pore size
- 60% decrease in depth of wrinkles
- 50% reduction in age spots and redness
- 155% increase in moisturization
TATCHA’s beauty ritual faithfully emulates the finely honed, effortless regimen of the geisha. This elegant ritual is suitable for all ethnicities and ages, but especially for those with combination skin seeking solutions for prevention and repair.
I received samples of the TATCHA's amazing products which include the following: -
- PURE Camellia One Step Cleansing Oil- I use this wonderful cleansing oil to remove my makeup (even my eye makeup) It is gentle and moisturizing. It is made of camellia and rice bran oil, but is not oily at all! You actually use it without water, on a dry face. Massage it into your face, and then rinse off with water.
- POLISHED Classic Rice Enzyme Powder - This is a great exfoliator as well as a cleanser. You rub about a teaspoon's worth into wet hands and rub your hands together until it turns into a creamy foam. Gently rub onto face (avaoiding eye area) leave it on for ten seconds and rinse. If you wish to use it for a deeper exfoliator, leave it on for one minute, although this product does not require a lot of time or harsh scrubbing to keep your skin polished. Thce and papaya enzymes work to release dead cels and dirt from the skin gently. I love how sqeaky clean, soft and smooth my skin feels after using this!
- RADIANT Deep Brightening Serum-I use this product after I cleanse my face, and before I apply moisturizer. I just use 1-2 pumps. It instantly gives my skin a boost of moisture. I love the radiant glow it gives my skin. Age spots will lighten between 4-8 weeks of use.
- SUPPLE Moisture Rich Silk Cream - Ahhh, this cream feels luxurious on my skin. I apply just a dab of it because a tiny bit goes a long way. I use it after I cleanse and after I use the brightening serum. I awaken to beautiful hydrated and renewed skin the next morning. I love it!
- PETAL FRESH Original and Evening Beauty Papers- One of my favorite products of all is these amazing blotting papers. My skin tends to get pretty oily during the day, and oile blotting papers are a beauty staple for me. What I love about these beauty papers, is that they are large enough to cover my entire face, and they absorb all of my oil without disturbing or smearing my makeup. They leave my face looking fresh and dewey.....almost porcelain perfect.
To learn more about TATCHA products or to purchase go to: http://www.tatcha.com
Disclaimer: I received samples of the products mentioned above to test and to keep. The opinions are my own.