A Family, Beauty, Health and Lifestyle Blog
Beauty Bucket List 10 Unexpected Must Do Things
Want to look, feel and think more beautifully? We called upon several experts in dermatology, longevity, psychology and even plastic surgery to bring you 10 unexpected things to consider adding to your beauty bucket list. They are...
1. Only drink water for 30 days. Imagine the benefits to your skin, hair, nails and overall body when you cut out sugars, caffeine, alcohol, and anything artificial and go straight H20. Dr. Christopher Calapai D.O. anti aging and stem cell specialist says, "be sure to drink pure water and if it gets boring add lemon, lime, or blueberries. Within the first week you will notice skin that is plump, glowing, clear and soft. By the second week people will take notice asking what you have done. The difference, for those who stick to a water only beverage plan for 30 days is astounding."
2. Ditch all facial products for a month. Look at your bathroom countertop and drawers. Product overload is common. Perhaps you bought into the promises of one product then jumped to another and another. Clear the clutter and clear your skin. Dr. Kally Papantoniou a board certified dermatologist in New York urges people to get rid of old expired skincare products and get back to basics. Using a simple non comedogenic facial cleanser and a moisturizer with SPF each day for a month will allow the skin to heal itself and return to a natural state. After 2 weeks of a simplified skincare regimen you may see fewer and less intense breakouts, less dryness or less oil.
3. Change your hair color and style.
It's quite common for women to drastically change their hair after a break-up but why wait for an emotional upheaval? Have long hair? Try a pixie cut! Have a short brown bob? Go blonde! Dr. Sanam Hafeez, NYC based licensed neuropsychologist and teaching faculty member at the prestigious Columbia University Teacher’s College, explains that our hair is a huge part of our identity. "When we really want a change in our lives, the fastest way to shift your mind towards forward progression is to alter our appearance in a major way. The best part with experimenting with hair is that it can grow back and you can enjoy different styles during the grow out process."
4. Give the girls a lift or go smaller! Dr. John Zannis a board certified plastic surgeon from North Carolina, says that breast augmentation done to mothers who breastfed multiple children is a game changer. "These women come in to see me feeling as if their breasts don't match their zest for life. They want them lifted and fuller and back to what they were before breastfeeding." Further women whose smaller frame can't handle large breasts leading to back and neck strain and even nerve damage can benefit from breast reduction. "Breast reduction changes lives. I have seen it in my practice. Women feel free going from an F cup to a full B. No more neck aches and shoulder pain not to mention bra straps digging into skin."
5. Learn to meditate. Want to appear 5 - 10 years younger within a month? Start meditating. Studies have shown that people who meditate are more optimistic, more calm and able to remain focused. They seem to breathe more deeply and have this general vibe of self-awareness. People who meditate know how to declutter their minds of worrisome thoughts that only perpetuate accelerated aging and illness. Dr. Hafeez encourages her patients to meditate by engaging all 5 senses. "When we sit or lay still and focus on our breathing and immediate surroundings we become fully present."
6. Get a skin check up, head to toe by a pro. People mistakenly think that total body skin screenings are for the pale and cancer prone. This is not the case. Even people who never burn in the sun should have a check up. "There are places where precancerous moles like to hide such as in the scalp, behind ears, in-between toes and under nails," explains Dr. Papantoniou. "It's always good to be safe and get moles and other growths looked at as we age."
7. Get it "fixed." Maybe you broke your nose playing soccer at 14 and it never healed right affecting your breathing not to mention making a common cold a catastrophe. Now that you're an adult and your facial bones have settled into place consider a nose job. Dr. Zannis, warns that a broken nose can complicate breathing which can lead to sleep apnea and a host of other sinus issues. "Most of the time it's not only a cosmetic issue it goes deeper than that. It's important that the functionality of the nose is a priority. Many of my cases have experienced an injury to their nose which not only affected the appearance but their breathing."
8. Buy a luxurious bathrobe. Admit it those robes found at spas and 5 star hotels are comfortable, really really, really comfortable. It's amazing how something so simple can really make you feel so beautiful. "Adding a touch of luxury to your life is a kind way to pamper yourself. Women of all shapes and sizes have body issues so if it feels great to wrap your body in a plush terry cloth robe go for it!, offers Dr. Hafeez.
9. Go back to bedtime. When we sleep our body repairs itself. When we are overworked, over worried and sleep deprived our bodies don't have the time to regenerate. This leads to a slower metabolism, poor organ function and sallow, wrinkled skin. "As we age we need a set bedtime and wake-time. The sleep cycle is pivotal for cellular turnover. New mothers often see more wrinkles and a difference in skin texture and radiance because they are awakened several times during the night," offers Dr. Calapai. Ideally adults need between 6 and 8 hours of sleep each night.
10. Get those earlobes repaired! From the most simple ear lobe repair for a torn ear lobe, to the more complex repair of ear gauges, you can now have your ear lobe back. Dr. Papantoniou offers this procedure in office, with local anesthesia and stitches that are dissolvable. "The ear heals very quickly and scars are minimal. The ear can be re-pierced 2-3 months after having the repair surgery," she explains.
Regardless of where you are on your beauty journey of life know that how we feel matters most and feeling good from the inside always makes the outside more healthy, vibrant and beautiful.
What do Beyoncé, Miranda Kerr, Elton John, The Pope, President Obama, Bill Gates, Martha Stewart, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Aniston, Kate Hudson, Kelly Ripa, Janet Jackson and Ray Kurzweil all have in common? They've all gone on the record to say that they drink alkaline water! Many athletes and celebrities including are attracted to the benefits of an alkaline diet as balanced body pH results in greater energy, more restful sleep, improved digestion and fewer colds according to some medical authorities .
Alkaline88, www.alkaline88.com , favored by Brande Roderick and Tim Tebow, achieves its 8.8 pH level through a state-of-the-art, completely chemical-free scientific process.
Dr. Jamie Koufman, an internationally renowned expert on reflux, and researcher Dr. Nikki Johnston studied how alkaline water destroyed pepsin, a stomach enzyme that when activated by acid causes painful reflux symptoms that can lead to cancer.
According to the findings published in the Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology, July 2012, natural artesian alkaline water with an 8.8 pH instantaneously inactivated human pepsin in laboratory studies. Ordinary tap and bottled waters had no such effect.
I received samples of Alkaline88 water to review. I usually don't enjoy the taste of bottled water, besides that, if I drink too much of it, I get a stomach ache. I was excited to get the chance to review Alkaline88. When it arrived, I put a one liter bottle of it into the freezer to chill it.
After my Alkaline88 water was nice and cold, I sat with it and sipped it while I was working on my computer. (Blogging, of course!) The next thing I knew, I had emptied the entire liter bottle in less than an hour.
The taste of Alkaline88 water is so smooth and desirable. It has no after taste, or any kind of a taste. It is just simply refreshing, down to the last drop. I cannot believe that I was able to drink that much water in one sitting without getting a painful stomach ache. It is so satisfying that I could drink it all day.
Another interesting fact is that ever since I started drinking Alkaline88 water, I have had zero desire for soda! Until recently, soda is the beverage I would crave when I was thirsty. I never imagined that bottled water could be so quenching for my thirst!
Enter to win! One winner will receive a case of Alkaline88 Water. (ARV: $25)
How? It's easy! Just enter to win using the Giveaway Tools form below. Good luck!
To learn more about Alkaline88 water go to: http://www.alkaline88.com/
*Product received. All opinions are mine.
Here are the newest products offered by ZeroWater; ZeroWater Mini and ZeroWater ReadyPour. The Mini allows Brita users to test the advanced technology of ZeroWater's filters without having to buy a brand new filtration system immediately. And ReadyPour is the first to market pitcher that allows you to keep filling your glass while the water is still filtering!
Ready-Pour’s innovative sealed lid and reservoir enables the pitcher to be kept full while adding up to two cups of additional capacity, helping to eliminate the wasted space on the top of the pitcher. That means it can hold 10 cups total (eight within the pitcher itself and two in the reservoir).
The underneath water filter assembly ensures water passes directly through and not under the filter. As a result, users of the Ready-Pour Pitcher can rest assured that every drop they are drinking has been filtered via ZeroWater’s patented five-stage, dual-ion exchange filtration system.
ZeroWater's new Mini Filter allows owners of other counter top filtration systems to enjoy the superior filtration technology without having to buy a whole new system. With recent studies showing that top brands in water filtration are not performing as well as they could be, ZeroWater, is handily beating them with the launch of the new Mini Filter.
For just a $4.99 per-filter cost, users of countertop filtration systems can keep their existing containers yet enjoy ZeroWater’s 99.6% dissolved solids removal rate. Using a five-layer filtration process versus the two stages that Brita uses, in all ZeroWater filters including the newest Mini Filter, ZeroWater produces the purest-tasting water on the market. The newest product is also equipped with color change technology, which allows users to know exactly when to change the filter.
I live in beautiful Estacada, Oregon. My family is blessed to be living out in the country and we live on a well. Our water is about as clean as it comes, but the only problem is that none of us like the taste. It seems we were always buying bottled water, even though that is probably so much unhealthier for my family.
Thankfully, I was sent a ZeroWater Ready Pour Pitcher to review. It is so easy to set up and use. The water tastes so crisp and clean! SO much better than any bottled water tastes! I keep it in the refrigerator and re-fill it as needed throughout the day. We are definitely saving a lot of money by not buying water bottles anymore! It makes me feel very good to know that my family is also being protected from any harmful chemicals that could be in the water we drink.
Purchase ZeroWater ZP-010 10-Cup Pitcher on Amazon
Disclaimer: I received a sample of this product to review. Any opinions are my own.