A Family, Beauty, Health and Lifestyle Blog
I scream, you scream, we all scream for....well, you know the rest! It wouldn't be summer without a tribute to ice cream, especially with #NationalIceCreamDay coming up on July 15. In honor of the sweet stuff, we put together this guide to hosting a stress-free ice cream social in your backyard. After all, ice cream parties are an easy, fun and inexpensive way to get everyone together during the warm weather months. So let's get started!
Host an Ice Cream Social
Set the Scene
Once you've picked a date and sent out invites, it's time to assemble everything you need for your party.
- The setup: Summertime is the perfect excuse to be carefree, so keep things simple! Do a buffet-style setup with bowls, spoons, napkins, toppings, etc., so kids can make their own sundaes in an assembly line fashion. Add paper tablecloths and balloons in cheery, pastel colors to mimic an old fashioned ice cream parlor. Display a chalk board to welcome guests and announce the day's flavors.
- The ice cream: Stick to classic flavors like vanilla, chocolate and strawberry since they'll serve as a great base for all the toppings you'll have on hand. Consider adding one carton of a popular "fun" flavor like chocolate chip cookie dough or cookies 'n cream, but don't feel the need to overdo it with options. If you're hosting the party outside, keep your ice cream cartons in an ice-filled cooler to prevent them from melting.
- The toppings: Fill colorful little bowls with kid-approved toppings like chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, rainbow sprinkles, crushed peanut butter cups and, of course, Go Organically Organic Fruit Snacks. Don't forget the chocolate syrup and whipped cream!
Put Together a "Sweet" Playlist
Set the mood by creating a playful music soundtrack themed around sweets and treats, with a mix of nostalgic, kid-friendly songs. Our suggestions to get you started:
- "Ice Cream Man" by Tom Waits
- "Peppermint Twist" by Joey Dee & The Starliters
- "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)" by Marvin Gaye
- "Tutti Fruitti" by Little Richie
- "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)" by The Four Tops
- "Blueberry Hill' by Fats Domino
- "I Love Rocky Road" by Weird Al Yankovic
- "Strawberry Fields Forever" by The Beatles
- "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond
Play a "Cool" Game
Delight little ones by adding an ice cream-themed game to the agenda. We love "Pin the Cherry on the Sundae"—a riff on the classic party game "Pin the Tail on the Donkey."
- Draw a picture of a large ice cream sundae on a poster board, or simply print out an oversize photo.
- Give each kid a construction paper cherry with double-sided tape on the back.
- One by one you'll blindfold each guest, spin them around, and instruct them to place the cherry as close to the top of the sundae as they can.
- The guest who places the cherry closest is the winner and gets to make their sundae first. YUM!
Enter to win! One winner will receive a Go Organically Fruit Snacks prize pack
How? It's easy! Enter to win by using the Giveaway Tools form below. Good luck!
Treat your skin and your sweet tooth for National Ice Cream Day (July 19th)! We’ve got you covered from head to toe with these beauty care essentials so you’re left feeling cool, refreshed and satisfied. All you need to decide is: vanilla or chocolate? Just don’t forget to add whipped cream!
Smell as sweet as your treat with a spritz of Lavanila Fragrance in Vanilla Coconut.This exotic blend of young creamy coconut, sweet Tahitian tiare flower and warm Madagascar vanilla instantly transports you to paradise. A carefree and tropical escape awaits ($58; Lavanila.com)
Cool down and fight blemishes before they start with Bioré Blemish Fighting Ice Cleanser.This refreshing liquid cleanser targets and removes dirt and oil that can cause blemishes, leaving you with clear skin. The deep, yet gentle cleanser invigorates and cools as it removes over 99% of dirt and oil. ($6.99; Drugstores and Mass Retailers).
Let your heels indulge in Curel Foot Therapy. This targeted cream contains highly emollient ingredients like shea butter, rich coconut milk, and naturally healing vitamin E that works to smooth and soften dry cracked skin in just two uses. It absorbs quickly and significantly improves the look and feel of dry feet and cracked heels. ($5.99; Drugstores and Mass Retailers).
Top off your look with a bun while protecting the scalp with Nios Whipped Hair Gel. SPF 15 protection from super-powered ingredients like Moroccan Argan Oil, Vitamin E and Vitamin B5 keep your scalp healthy and vibrant. The medium-firm hold of the Whipped Hair Gel creates a clean-cut, yet touchable look as it protects the hair follicle, hair shaft and scalp from summer elements ($26; NiosShield.com).
Disclaimer: I will be sent product in exchange for this post.