A Family, Beauty, Health and Lifestyle Blog
Taking care of your skin isn’t as simple as washing your face. This is especially true if you have oily or dry skin or are prone to pimple breakouts. In fact, if you don’t follow an appropriate regimen, you might even make the problems worse.
Here’s how to deal with the most common skin problems that both women and men experience.
Acne is a general term that refers to a host of skin problems caused by excess oil clogging the pores of the skin; this usually manifests in the form of pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads. And while it’s a common problem among teenagers, adult acne can last well up to your 30s or even 40s.
Use a mild face wash no more than twice a day to avoid drying up your skin. Choose products with ingredients like benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid to keep breakouts at bay; however, these components may sometimes cause dryness, so you should also invest in a moisturizer that’s suited for your skin type. If you are fond of using makeup, make sure they are noncomedogenic as these products are less likely to clog your pores. Finally, as every dermatologist would advise, don’t pop or squeeze your pimples as this would irritate your skin even more.
The size of your pores is determined by your genes, so you really can’t make them smaller per se. However, if you want to know how to minimize pores, the answer is simple: keep your face clean. Dirt, dead skin cells, and leftover makeup can clog your pores and make them look bigger and more visible. Wash your face twice a day using a gentle, deep-action cleanser to remove these unwanted substances from your skin. For hard-to-remove makeup, use cleansing oils first before washing your face.
Exfoliating twice or thrice a week, depending on your skin type, is also recommended to keep your pores clean. Check the label for ingredients such as alpha hydroxy acid, which helps remove dead skin cells more effectively, and beta hydroxy acid, which helps melt extra sebum.
Like the size of your pores, puffy and dark circles under your eyes can be caused by your genes. Stress and lack of sleep are also exacerbating factors. Other causes of dark under-eye circles are hyperpigmentation and lack of moisture.
If you have thin skin under your eyes, you should try products enriched with retinol to boost the production of collagen. For hyperpigmentation, eye creams with vitamin C and licorice extracts are good choices to lighten the area over time. Sunscreen is also essential to prevent the darkening of the skin in the first place.
Dark circles under your eyes may also be caused by harsh makeup removers. Use gentle cleansing oils to remove eye makeup, especially waterproof mascara and eyeliner. When you wipe off using a soft cloth or makeup wipes, don’t rub back and forth; instead, use gentle strokes following one direction so you don’t irritate or inflame the skin under your eyes.
Oily Skin or Dry Skin
When you have oily skin, you might be tempted to wash too often or scrub too hard to remove the excess oil. However, doing this will also remove the oils that protect your skin and give it a healthy, dewy glow. Wash your face twice a day using two cleansers: one with oil-absorbing ingredients like salicylic acid and one that’s a little more gentle.
For dry skin, the best facial cleansers are those with a creamy, milky formula. Ingredients like hyaluronic acid will also help your skin recover lost moisture by binding collagen and elastin. This makes your skin more more supple and has an added bonus of keeping your pores looking smaller, too.
Moisturizing is also important. For oily skin, opt for lightweight formulas that contain hyaluronic acid or natural ingredients like lemon peel extract (which absorb extra oil). For dry skin, ingredients like jojoba oil (and other natural oils), shea butter, and vitamin E are good options.
Uneven Skin Tone and Dark Spots
Age and sun exposure are the primary culprits behind uneven skin tone and dark spots on your skin. Skin care products with vitamins A, C, and E helps reduce pigmentation and smoothen the skin’s overall texture. Amino acids, on the other hand, work to slow down the production of melanin. Topical treatments like bleaching creams work best for darker, more stubborn spots. Just make sure to use these products according to to the prescribed instructions as some ingredients like hydroquinone may cause discoloration if used improperly.
If you're looking to find out more about how to treat hyperpigmentation check out this article on kojic acid soap.
Using sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30, meanwhile, stops the darkening of existing dark spots and prevents the formation of new ones. Steer clear of products with avobenzone or oxybenzone, which clog up your pores.
Another key to achieve better skin? Live a healthier lifestyle. Eating healthy food, exercising regularly, and getting enough rest will help your body get rid of toxins and make your skin more radiant from the inside!
Summer is over and the cooler weather is on its way. It is time to repair damage from those days spent in the sun, and prepare your skin for the drying winter weather. 7th Heaven makes a variety of all natural peel off, mud masks and many others that will help you to get your skin in perfect condition, no matter what the weather.
7th Heaven's masks are lovingly made by their own herbalists using the most luscious natural ingredients from around the world. With so much natural choice, there’s one to delight your skin and senses each time you treat yourself.
I was given the chance to review several of 7th Heaven's top selling beauty treats.
I was sent the following masks:
Tea Tree Peel-Off: Get in the T-Zone and target problem areas with this super soothing peel off mask. Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Canadian Willowherb come together to calm and clean up skin impurities. I love this soothing mask! I use it once a week to combat my oily skin. I leave it on for about ten minutes after cleansing, and then rinse well. My skin is left feeling fresh and clean.
Dead Sea Mud Pac: This deeply cleansing mud mask draws out oils and impurities in my skin. It is made with sea salt, seaweed and lavender. I apply it all over my face and neck. It tingles as it dries. I leave it on for ten minutes, and then rinse it completely off. My skin is so soft afterwards!
Charcoal Mud: Bring life back into your skin with intensely, invigorating & reviving Dead Sea Minerals. 7th Heaven has harvested the ocean’s nutrient-rich Seaweed & Kelp right from the source – A satisfying boost for thirsty skin, & then some! I apply this mask after cleansing and I usually leave it on for ten minutes before rinsing.
Charcoal Pore Strips: These amazing pore strips utilize natural hardwood charcoal. Charcoal helps absorb excess sebum and blackheads for cleaner, less-visible pores around the nose, while volcanic ash helps to clear dead cells.
Creamy Coconut:This aromatic mask is made from fresh coconut water, ground cocoa and shea butter, and is a delightfully moisturizing facial treat. I use it after washing my face, and I leave it on for ten minutes before thoroughly rinsing. It leaves my skin thoroughly hydrated and silky smooth.
For more information go to: https://www.my7thheaven.com/
*Product received. All opinions are my own.
National Pimples Day is September 25th. There is no better way to celebrate the holiday than with clear complexion. Check out these acne banishers from the Bioré Skincare Acne Collection:
Bioré® Charcoal Acne Scrub: In addition to oil-absorbing charcoal, acne-fighting salicylic acid, and proprietary technology that allows for deep cleaning without over-drying (which is a major problem for acne-fighting products), this powerful scrub for oily skin contains exfoliating beads and skin-polishing .
Bioré® Skincare Deep Pore Charcoal Cleanser: This breakthrough cleanser gets pores twice as clean after just one use, in as little as 30 seconds. By combining natural charcoal with Bioré® Skincare’s exclusive Skin Purifying Technology, featuring breakthrough dirt-seeking molecules, this cleanser provides targeted deep cleansing for a smooth, clear complexion without irritating skin. The black liquid to white foam, non-staining formula leaves a tingly-smooth deep clean.
Bioré® Baking Soda Acne Scrub: Formulated for combination skin, this cleansing scrub gently exfoliates with smooth spherical beads and baking soda to remove pore-clogging dead skin cells, while treating existing acne and banishing future breakouts with salicylic acid. The creamy formula instantly conditions and softens the skin, leaving you with a silky, smooth complexion.
As the weather starts to warm up – those long, relaxing summer weekends are closer than we think! Luckily, bringing your favorite skincare routine with you doesn’t need to be a chore. This Memorial Day (and all the glorious extended weekends to come) can be made simple with Biore’s perfect travel-friendly essentials to make packing a breeze. These must-haves fit perfectly in your toiletry bag and make cleansing and refreshing your skin quick and fun, so you have more time to relax and soak up the sun!
Bioré® Baking Soda Scrub:
No need to worry about liquid products spilling in your bag – This cleanser is powder until you activate it with water!
The first powder cleanser to be sold at mass, this advanced formula is refreshingly effective and fun to use. It foams up on contact with water, gently exfoliating while forming tiny bubbles that dive deep into pores to break up oil and impurities. When you rinse the foam away, oil, debris and dead cells are swept away, leaving skin 2.5 times as clean as it would get from a basic cleanser. You’ll see an instantly smoother, softer texture and visibly tighter pores after just one use. ($9.99; Drugstores and mass retailers)
Bioré® Skincare Self Heating One Minute Mask:
These Self-Heating masks come individually packaged – easy to grab and go!
If you feel like you need a deep clean, this breakthrough thermal mask will do the trick. It warms to open pores, draws out and dissolves 2.5 times more dirt, oil, and surface toxins than a basic cleanser, then rinses them away with an invigorating cooling sensation. Formulated with natural charcoal, Bioré® Skincare Self Heating One Minute Mask melts dirt and oil better than the leading competitor to clean your pores and clear the problem. ($7.99; Drugstores and mass retailers)
Bioré Deep Cleansing Pore Strips:
Pore Strips are small enough to fit in your makeup bag to help unclog pores, even on-the-go.
A beauty classic, Bioré Deep Cleansing Pore Strips quickly bond to the dirt and oil buried in each pore and lift out pore-clogging agents. Twice as effective as the leading pore cleanser, Bioré Deep Cleansing Pore Strips can also reduce the appearance of pores over time. This quick 10 minute addition to your skincare routine will reveal the deeper clean, fresher, healthier-looking complexion Bioré Skincare fans love. ($7.99;
Select food, drug and mass merchant stores)
Ring in the New Year with glowing, clear skin with Bioré Charcoal Products. The invigorating scents of peppermint pays homage to the holiday season and the charcoal cleans and smooths your skin.
Bioré Pore Penetrating Charcoal Bar ($6.49) draws out and binds to deep down dirt and oil for 2.5 times cleaner pores than a basic cleanser. With jojoba beads and peppermint, the formula gently exfoliates and leaves skin feeling refreshed and smooth.
Bioré Self Heating One Minute Mask ($7.99) warms to open pores in just one minute, draws out and dissolves 2.5 times more dirt, oil, and surface toxins than a basic cleanser, and rinses them clean away with an invigorating cooling sensation without stripping the skin
Bioré Deep Cleansing Charcoal Pore Strips ($6.49) is a twist on a beauty staple – Bioré skincare experts added natural charcoal powder to the iconic Pore Strips! With next generation proprietary c-bond technology and potent charcoal, the strips remove clogs and weeks’ worth of buildup and while refining pores to diminish their appearance over time.
Bioré products are definitely the favorite brand for me and my daughters. Out of all of the expensive products I get to review, Bioré is at the top of my list for effectiveness. Is quality is unsurpassed, and the prices are completely affordable.
These Bioré Charcoal Products are available at select food, drug and mass merchant stores. For more information visit www.biore.com .
*Product received. All opinions are my own.
Beauty Bucket List 10 Unexpected Must Do Things
Want to look, feel and think more beautifully? We called upon several experts in dermatology, longevity, psychology and even plastic surgery to bring you 10 unexpected things to consider adding to your beauty bucket list. They are...
1. Only drink water for 30 days. Imagine the benefits to your skin, hair, nails and overall body when you cut out sugars, caffeine, alcohol, and anything artificial and go straight H20. Dr. Christopher Calapai D.O. anti aging and stem cell specialist says, "be sure to drink pure water and if it gets boring add lemon, lime, or blueberries. Within the first week you will notice skin that is plump, glowing, clear and soft. By the second week people will take notice asking what you have done. The difference, for those who stick to a water only beverage plan for 30 days is astounding."
2. Ditch all facial products for a month. Look at your bathroom countertop and drawers. Product overload is common. Perhaps you bought into the promises of one product then jumped to another and another. Clear the clutter and clear your skin. Dr. Kally Papantoniou a board certified dermatologist in New York urges people to get rid of old expired skincare products and get back to basics. Using a simple non comedogenic facial cleanser and a moisturizer with SPF each day for a month will allow the skin to heal itself and return to a natural state. After 2 weeks of a simplified skincare regimen you may see fewer and less intense breakouts, less dryness or less oil.
3. Change your hair color and style.
It's quite common for women to drastically change their hair after a break-up but why wait for an emotional upheaval? Have long hair? Try a pixie cut! Have a short brown bob? Go blonde! Dr. Sanam Hafeez, NYC based licensed neuropsychologist and teaching faculty member at the prestigious Columbia University Teacher’s College, explains that our hair is a huge part of our identity. "When we really want a change in our lives, the fastest way to shift your mind towards forward progression is to alter our appearance in a major way. The best part with experimenting with hair is that it can grow back and you can enjoy different styles during the grow out process."
4. Give the girls a lift or go smaller! Dr. John Zannis a board certified plastic surgeon from North Carolina, says that breast augmentation done to mothers who breastfed multiple children is a game changer. "These women come in to see me feeling as if their breasts don't match their zest for life. They want them lifted and fuller and back to what they were before breastfeeding." Further women whose smaller frame can't handle large breasts leading to back and neck strain and even nerve damage can benefit from breast reduction. "Breast reduction changes lives. I have seen it in my practice. Women feel free going from an F cup to a full B. No more neck aches and shoulder pain not to mention bra straps digging into skin."
5. Learn to meditate. Want to appear 5 - 10 years younger within a month? Start meditating. Studies have shown that people who meditate are more optimistic, more calm and able to remain focused. They seem to breathe more deeply and have this general vibe of self-awareness. People who meditate know how to declutter their minds of worrisome thoughts that only perpetuate accelerated aging and illness. Dr. Hafeez encourages her patients to meditate by engaging all 5 senses. "When we sit or lay still and focus on our breathing and immediate surroundings we become fully present."
6. Get a skin check up, head to toe by a pro. People mistakenly think that total body skin screenings are for the pale and cancer prone. This is not the case. Even people who never burn in the sun should have a check up. "There are places where precancerous moles like to hide such as in the scalp, behind ears, in-between toes and under nails," explains Dr. Papantoniou. "It's always good to be safe and get moles and other growths looked at as we age."
7. Get it "fixed." Maybe you broke your nose playing soccer at 14 and it never healed right affecting your breathing not to mention making a common cold a catastrophe. Now that you're an adult and your facial bones have settled into place consider a nose job. Dr. Zannis, warns that a broken nose can complicate breathing which can lead to sleep apnea and a host of other sinus issues. "Most of the time it's not only a cosmetic issue it goes deeper than that. It's important that the functionality of the nose is a priority. Many of my cases have experienced an injury to their nose which not only affected the appearance but their breathing."
8. Buy a luxurious bathrobe. Admit it those robes found at spas and 5 star hotels are comfortable, really really, really comfortable. It's amazing how something so simple can really make you feel so beautiful. "Adding a touch of luxury to your life is a kind way to pamper yourself. Women of all shapes and sizes have body issues so if it feels great to wrap your body in a plush terry cloth robe go for it!, offers Dr. Hafeez.
9. Go back to bedtime. When we sleep our body repairs itself. When we are overworked, over worried and sleep deprived our bodies don't have the time to regenerate. This leads to a slower metabolism, poor organ function and sallow, wrinkled skin. "As we age we need a set bedtime and wake-time. The sleep cycle is pivotal for cellular turnover. New mothers often see more wrinkles and a difference in skin texture and radiance because they are awakened several times during the night," offers Dr. Calapai. Ideally adults need between 6 and 8 hours of sleep each night.
10. Get those earlobes repaired! From the most simple ear lobe repair for a torn ear lobe, to the more complex repair of ear gauges, you can now have your ear lobe back. Dr. Papantoniou offers this procedure in office, with local anesthesia and stitches that are dissolvable. "The ear heals very quickly and scars are minimal. The ear can be re-pierced 2-3 months after having the repair surgery," she explains.
Regardless of where you are on your beauty journey of life know that how we feel matters most and feeling good from the inside always makes the outside more healthy, vibrant and beautiful.
Summer is a time for fun in the sun, but being out-and-about can cause unwanted havoc on your skin. Both exposure to outdoors elements and rising temperatures can often results in excessive oil. Bioré Skincare has the essentials that target the root of all your skincare woes – clogged pores!
Draw out 2x more dirt and impurities oil that can cause blemishes with Bioré Deep Pore Charcoal Cleanser. This innovative black cleanser that foams white and rinses clean, draws out and traps 2x more dirt and impurities than a basic cleanser. It is infused with Japanese Skin Purifying Technology, which helps give you results after just one use!
For unruly blackheads, instantly lift away deep down dirt with Bioré Deep Cleansing Charcoal Pore Strips! With next generation proprietary c-bond technology and potent charcoal, the strips remove clogs and weeks’ worth of buildup so you’ll see 3x less oil. Containing witch hazel and tea tree oil, the formula refines pores to diminish their appearance over time.
For combination skin, gently exfoliate without over scrubbing thanks to Bioré Baking Soda Cleansing Scrub. This ingenious concentrated powder cleanser is specially formulated to foam up on contact with water, leaving skin 2.5 times as clean as a basic cleanser.
Best if used 2-3 times a week, the formula gently exfoliates while forming tiny bubbles that dive deep into pores tobreak up oil and impurities. When you rinse the foam away, oil, debris and dead cells are swept away, for instantly smoother, softer texture and visibly tighter pores after just one use!
*Bioré products are available at Drug and Mass Retailers
After a season of layering up, you deserve to show off skin that's smooth and ready for warm weather. Thanks to these beauty essentials, you can exfoliate from head to toe, revealing skin that’s soft, hydrated and glowing all summer long!
For your face – Bioré Baking Soda Cleansing Scrub is an ingenious concentrated powder cleanser that is specially formulated to foam up on contact with water, leaving skin 2.5 times as clean as a basic cleanser. The formula gently exfoliates while forming tiny bubbles that dive deep into pores to break up oil and impurities. When you rinse the foam away, oil, debris and dead cells are swept away, for instantly smoother, softer texture and visibly tighter pores after just one use! ($9.99; Drug and Mass Retailers)
For your body – Lavanila Laboratories The Healthy Vanilla Bean Creamy Body Scrub is formulated with crushed Madagascar vanilla beans blended with whipped shea butter and five nourishing essential oils. It whisks away dry, dead skin cells—revealing soft, hydrated, glowing skin. ($40; Sephora.com)
For your feet – PediSpa by Look Beauty Gentle Exfoliating Foot Mask is your non-traditional masque that contains a foot exfoliate plus treatment filled in a pair of wearable socks. Found in the Pharmacy Foot Care Aisle, the effective treatment contains key ingredients like chamomile and natural botanical fruit extracts to help control callus build-up for visibly smooth feet within two weeks. ($9.99; Target in the Pharmacy Foot Care Aisle and Target.com)
*Post in exchange for products. Any opinions are my own.
Actress Hailee Steinfeld looked stunning at the 2016 Radio Disney Awards this past weekend at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. Hailee’s makeup artist Stephen Sollitto shared the scoop on how to recreate her red carpet look!
INSPIRATION: "I was inspired by her chic Michael Kors dress. It was so simple, yet with the stone trim at the bottom it was a knock out. I wanted to do a poppy lip especially since the dress was black. Also, as this was a Disney event, a red lip here felt too serious for the younger audience. This pink shade Hailee wore was playful as well as a great compliment to the entire look," says Stephen.
GET THE LOOK - Here is Stephen's step-by-step breakdown:
- For an event like this where there's a red carpet, a performance and an after party, fresh skin is essential for creating the perfect canvas. If it doesn’t look healthy – no makeup is going to help. So, to prep Hailee’s face I used Bioré Self Heating One Minute Mask. This thermal mask gives you purified pores in just one minute. It has charcoal in it that heats up with water to open pores and draw out dirt and oil.
- Once her skin was nourished, I used Makeup Forever Ultra HD foundation.
- Next, with a loose brush, I dusted Dior Diorskin Forever & Ever Control loose powder.
- Then I started on her eyes --I wanted a bit of color, so I used an Antonym Pinkish pencil all over the lid and blended it out for a creamy warm look. Following this, at the lash line I drew on MAC Raven – a rich eggplant color.
- Over that to soften the line, I brushed Laura Mercier Aubergine eye shadow – a beautiful sheeny purple.
- Then to help make her eyes pop even more, I used two coats of Diorshow mascara.
- For a flush of color I stippled on NARS blush in Outlaw – a great compliment to her eyes.
- To top off the look – and to keep it as chic as the dress – I used Laura Mercier Lipstick in Pink Dust.
More About Bioré Self Heating One Minute Mask ($7.99): In just one minute, this thermal mask warms to open pores, draws out and dissolves 2.5 times more dirt, oil, and surface toxins than a basic cleanser, and rinses them clean away with an invigorating cooling sensation without stripping the skin.
Infused with natural charcoal, this breakthrough mask melts dirt and oil better than the leading competitive mask. So clean your pores from the dirt, oil and makeup of the past and clear the problem! Available at drugstores nationwide and www.biore.com
Enter to win! Two winners will be chosen to receive a Bioré's Self-Heating One-Minute Mask, (ARV: $7.99 ea.)
How? It's easy! Just enter to win using the Giveaway Tools form below. Good luck!
*Product received. Any opinions are mine.
Spring is almost here!!!! Time to start your spring cleaning early by focusing on your skin! Your pores deserve a deep clean, and Bioré Skincare has the solution for every type of concern!
For combination skin try Bioré Baking Soda Pore Cleanser! This daily liquid cleanser gives you a deep exfoliating clean without being rough on dry spots. This oil-free formula contains cleansing ingredients that excavate grime and oil from pores. At the same time, the formula gently smooths away dead cells. You end up with skin that’s fresh, silky-soft and luminous. ($7.99; Drug and mass merchants)
For unruly blackheads, lift deep down dirt in one simple step thanks to Bioré Deep Cleansing Charcoal Pore Strips! The iconic Pore Strips added with natural charcoal powder, reduces oil for a full 24 hours. Next generation, proprietary c-bond technology and potent charcoal, helps remove clogs and weeks’ worth of buildup so you’ll see 3x less oil as the formula works to refine pores and diminish their appearance over time! ($6.49; Drug and Mass Merchant Stores)
For those in hurry, you can still achieve a deep clean in 60 seconds with the Bioré Self Heating One Minute Mask Clean. This breakthrough thermal mask warms to open pores, melting away deep down impurities and grime, then rinses them away with an invigorating cooling sensation. Formulated with natural charcoal, this masks works in one minute to clear up 2.5x more dirt and oil than leading competitors for clean, tingly-smooth skin! ($7.99; Drug and Mass Merchant Stores)
Disclaimer: I received product samples for review. Any opinions are my own.