A new study from CeraVe®, conducted online by OnePoll among 2,000 U.S. adults aged 18 and older, revealed that many Americans may not know their skin as well as they think they do and are often overlooking key considerations that can help them achieve healthy skin.
Understanding the benefits of different cleanser formulas and ingredients is important because it can lead people to a cleanser that not only rids the skin of unwanted dirt, oil and residue, but also restores and rehydrates the skin barrier to maintain a healthy moisture balance. With increased attention on hygiene and over- washing, now more than ever its key consumers choose the right products for their skin.
- When it comes to facial cleansing, one-third of respondents (35%) believe all cleansers work the same, which isn’t always true. In fact, CeraVe offers several different cleansers that are formulated with different skin types, ingredients and benefits in mind.
- Many respondents admitted to using various soaps to clean their face, including 36% saying they’ve used hand soap and nearly one in five (18%) even saying they have used dish soap – the same number as those who have used micellar water!
- Nearly half of respondents (45%) do not know that a foaming product is not a sign of a more effective clean.
- Moreover, four in 10 respondents (40%) feel they have achieved a good skin cleanse if their skin has a “squeaky clean” feeling, which can actually be a sign that their cleanser has stripped their protective moisture barrier.
Cleansing Is A Balancing Act
- Washing the face should be a healthy balance of cleansing while maintaining the skin’s natural barrier, yet 55% of respondents do not consider hydrating benefits when selecting a facial cleanser.
- When selecting a cleanser, more than half (51%) do not consider the product’s ingredients, an important factor when choosing the best product for your own skin’s needs.
- Moreover, four in 10 take the time to consider whether the product is formulated for their skin type, but only half (51%) consider how efficiently the product will actually clean the skin.
“If I Knew Then What I Know Now…”
- With six in 10 respondents (63%) admitting they wish they had taken better care of their skin when they were younger and nearly just as many (58%) saying they would start a regular skincare routine at an earlier age if they could go back in time, it’s clear people begin to understand the importance of skincare as they age.
- In fact, about half of respondents admit to having believed that rinsing with water alone would clean their face (52%) and that a tight and dry feeling indicated skin was clean (49%); neither of which is true.
- Eight in 10 respondents (80%) said they have used trial and error to figure out what works best for their skin, underscored by 94% saying they have used as many as 15 different cleansing products!
- When asked what they regret about their skincare when they were younger, 30% said not educating themselves about the proper skincare products for their skin type and 23% said not cleansing skin properly.
Thankfully, when it comes to cleansing, hindsight doesn’t have to be 20/20. CeraVe® offers a full range of cleansers developed with dermatologists and formulated for all different skin types to achieve the perfect balance between cleansing the skin and keeping the moisture barrier intact, so it’s never too late to start a healthy skincare routine.
Survey Methodology: This survey was conducted online within the United States by OnePoll on behalf of CeraVe® from June 11, 2020 – June 16, 2020 among 2,000 U.S. adults ages 18 and older.
I have loved CeraVe® skin care for years. It is my go-to brand of effective facial cleanser. In fact, my grown children know that they can usually always find a bottle (or four) of it in my bathroom shower or cupboard, and they tend to “borrow” it all the time. I don’t mind sharing! My kids love CeraVe products as well!
My favorite CeraVe cleansers are the Foaming Facial Cleanser, the Hydrating Facial Cleanser and the Acne Foaming Cleanser. Each one is formulated for different skin types or issues.
Each of these cleansers remove dirt, makeup and other debris. It’s important to choose a formula that won’t disrupt the skin’s natural protective barrier or strip the skin of its natural moisture, and CeraVe’s amazing facial cleansers purify and refresh the skin without over-stripping it or leaving it feeling tight and dry.
CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser was developed with three types of essential ceramides to restore the skin’s barrier and hydrating hyaluronic acid, this non-comedogenic face wash is an effective yet non-irritating way to start off any skincare regimen for normal to dry skin—and it uses MVE Delivery Technology to supply the skin with a steady stream of nourishment throughout the day and night. This cleanser is the one I keep in the shower to gently remove my makeup, and even shave my legs. It is perfect!
CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser was developed with three types of essential ceramides, hyaluronic acid and niacinamide, this gel-based foaming cleanser is an effective yet non-irritating way to start off any skincare regimen for normal to oily skin. I love using this cleanser when I feel like my skin is extra oily. It definitely removes any greasiness, leaving my skin glowing, but not shiny!
The new CeraVe Acne Foaming Cream Cleanser acne face wash is formulated to thoroughly dissolve dirt and excess oil while clearing acne with 4% benzoyl peroxide. This formula also features hyaluronic acid to help retain the skin’s natural moisture and niacinamide to provide soothing benefits, while allowing skin to heal. I use it when I have breakouts, due to hormonal changes, and it really works to clear my skin up fast!
For further information, please visit: https://www.cerave.com/